Saturday, January 24, 2009

Odd Job Uncle Sam



One of my recent "odd" jobs is pictured here. I dress as Uncle Sam, and juggle on a street corner next to a sign that says something along the lines of: go over there to get your taxes done. It's not so bad. I work whenever I feel like it, quit whenever I feel like it, and take breaks whenever I feel like it. After putting in 15 hours of it this week though, my hands are hurting, my neck is a little tense and I barely got paid more than my 2 hours as the Spearhead show, but I've been blessed with sunny weather and the passersby seem to enjoy it. Honks abound, usually followed by applause and thumbs-up, but my favorite is the honk from the car behind the guy who hasn't noticed the recently greened light because he's still watching Uncle Sam.

I'm in a part of town that most folks I know don't frequent, but I saw my friend Jesse the other day, riding his bike home from the Community College.
He tells the story differently.

Jesse (to friends): So I was on my bike the other day, waiting for the light to change, when I saw this homeless-looking guy, crouched down, off to the side of the road like he was smoking something, and wearing what looked to be an Uncle Sam costume so, obviously, I was like, this guy is totally crazy! I got a little closer and was like: he kind of looks like Zack. Oh my god, it is Zack!

Ah, context.

People must think all kinds of things when they see me. Sometimes the clever ones say things, like: Don't drop them! or Try chainsaws! One time some guy asked: Hablas Espanol? which, I'm still trying to figure out, but he seemed to mean it as an insult. If I wasn't always wearing my headphones, I might hear more things people say, but I'm mostly content to rock out in my own little world, getting paid to practice

But I don't just do it for me and I don't just do it for Liberty Tax Services. I do it for you and yours, America! God Bless Ya! The whole crappin' lot of ya!

2 Comments:

Blogger Abaloney said...

I have been checking your blogg for some time SO GLAD TO SEE your recent posts!!!
Fantastic FANTASTIC!! From Port Townsend Wa
http://www.myspace.com/Ukuhehe

6:23 PM  
Blogger Zackataca said...

Thanks! I had no idea people I don't know read this thing. Tremendous!

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home