Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Lazy River and Lots of Hammocks

We made it to Iquitos after over 40 hours on a bus and 2 days on a boat. The first bus we were on broke down, then we waited for another to pick us up, finally arrived at our destination, Yurimaguas, 10 hours late, grabbed a moto-taxi to race to the market, buy a hammock and make it to the port for the 2 p.m. departure time, only to find out that the boat had already left. But they told us we could stay onboard the one departing the next day for free that night, so we did. Technically then, we were on the boat for three days. But we had hammocks. Unfortunately, there wasn´t much of a breeze.
The climate change has been drastic, but it really hasn´t been that bad. We went from Lima, where we frequently had to wear sweatshirts during the day and it was almost always cloudy, to the jungle, where it´s sunny almost always and we sleep without covers at night. But it is exactly what I´ve wanted since I arrived in South America. I think I´ve been cold since I got here, all my time spent in the winter and the mountains. And now I can´t stop sweating, my clothes are stuck to my body, and I love it.
The boat was a pretty great experience. It was like a ferry, with a big open space for all of the passengers, but it was packed with hammocks. There were easily more than a hundred of them when the boat was its most full. A sea of hammocks. It felt like we´d all been through some natural disaster and where thrown together in a high school gym or something. But its just how you travel here, and though everyone is bumping each other, and hammocks are bumping, and its hot and there´s little to do, everyone gets along fine, waiting patiently and chatting idly, and looking forward to meal time. Three squares a day. But there´s almost always people from the villages along the way coming aboard to sell snacks and drinks when the boat stopped to make deliveries. The whole cargo hold of the boat was full of bananas, fish, soda, etc. though, thankfully, the smell never reached us on the second floor.
And now we´re in Iquitos and we´ll be here a couple of days to explore and try to sell a little bit. It´s 2 or 3 more days by boat to the border, where we´ll probably have to stay to wait for my visa to process, and then we finally get to enter Brazil.
I´ll post some more pictures if I can find a faster internet connection somewhere.
And once I take some more pictures.
Peace and love and other hippie junk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home